The Aquatics program at the University of South Carolina operates two indoor swimming pools year-round for members of the Carolina community and one outdoor swimming pool open seasonally from March-October. Programs include lifeguard and CPR training as well as swimming lessons for children of faculty and staff.
Strom pool closings
None at this time.
Blatt pool closings/limited lanes
Blatt pool will be closed for the 5 p.m. recreation swim on Friday, June 30.
Lifeguard and CPR Certifications
The full (25-hour) lifeguard course is always offered in the spring (March, typically during USC spring break). More classes may be offered if there is a demand for them.
Contact Ashley Oswald, aquatics coordinator, at (803) 777-4694 or firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
NOTE: You do not have to be a USC student to take advantage of this course. We also offer lifeguard recertification, CPR recertification, lifeguard instructor and water safety instructor.
2017 Little Gamecocks Learn To Swim Program
In its tenth year, the Little Gamecocks Learn to Swim program offers a great way for you to introduce your child to swimming or continue teaching your child these important skills.
Little Gamecocks Learn To Swim is a summer swimming lesson program for University of South Carolina faculty and staff children (or grandchildren) ages 6 months to 13 years old. Parents must present a current faculty or staff Carolina Card in order to register. New to the program, adult lessons will be available during our 7 p.m. lesson time.
Mark your calendars for these session dates:
Session 1: May 8-19 | CLOSED
Session 2: May 22-June 2 | CLOSED
Session 3: June 12-June 23 | CLOSED
Each session is available starting at 5 p.m., 6 p.m., and 7 p.m.. This year, week one will run Monday-Friday with Monday being reserved for orientation and swim test placement; lessons will start Tuesday and run through Friday. Lessons run 45 minutes per day. Please note this important change from past years: If we miss a day of lessons due to weather, we will add a day to the second week (Friday). On the days of your swimming lessons, you may access the outdoor pool through the pool house gate and do not have to enter the main level of the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center.
How to register:
• Visit https://www.sc.edu/campusrec/wellnesswaiverlogin.php?wid=1.
• Complete the online waiver using your USC VIP ID as a faculty/staff/student.
• After submitting your waiver, you will be directed to the registration website.
• Please carefully select the level for your child based on the descriptions provided.
• You can register each child for as many sessions as you like.
• Registration will remain open all summer until all slots are filled.
• If you are unable to select a particular session/level/time, that means it is full and no longer available.
• The last day/time to register for a session will be the Friday (10 a.m.) before that session begins the following Monday.
• The cost is $75/session per child.
• There are a limited number of t-shirts available online for $8 (+ tax). (The shirts are the same as in 2015/2016.)
• You must bring your Carolina Card or picture ID with your printed swim lesson registration confirmation.
If you have questions or need additional information, please let us know. We look forward to seeing you this summer at Little Gamecocks Learn to Swim!