Outdoor Recreation is excited to offer a wide range of bicycling based services to all University of South Carolina students, faculty, and staff. Our goal at the Bike Shop is to provide you with the knowledge to maintain and repair your bike (at home or on the trail), empower you to ride confidently and safely, and at last, make bike repairs fun! We work one-on-one with you to teach you everything you need to know regarding your bike. The best part is that the services that are provided at the Outdoor Recreation Bike Shop are totally FREE (must present valid Carolina Card)!
At the Bike Shop, our trained and experienced mechanics are able to provide a variety of services, including:
- flat repair*
- bike cleaning
- complete tune-ups
- complete overhauls**
- parts replacement*
- assembly of new bikes*
*We do not to stock any bike specific parts at this time. Once the problem has been diagnosed by our mechanic, you will be contacted. Replacement parts need to be purchased from any of the local bike shops.
**We currently do not service suspension systems.
News and Events
Stationary Bike Pumps
Outdoor Recreation is excited to announce the installment of stationary bike pumps around the USC-Columbia Campus. Two types of pumps, both made by Bike Fixtation, are currently being installed- the Public Bike Pump and High Security Public Bike Pump. The pumps are compatible with either Presta or Schrader valves– please reference the instructional sticker on the side of the pump or following the QR code to the Bike Fixtation site for helpful instructions. Currently high security pumps are located in front of the Wellness and Fitness Center and the BA. Future pump locations will include: Blatt PE Building, Patterson Residence Hall, Bull St. Garage, and Pendleton St. Garage.
The Bike Shop strongly suggests that you register your bike through VMPS. You can register your bike clicking here.
If you are in the market to purchase a bike, follow these tips:
- Find a bike that fits your needs: There are many options out there including mountain bikes, multi-speed road bikes (great for commuting around Columbia due to the steep hills), & single speeds to name a few. Outdoor Recreation favors the cyclocross bike as it can be used on road/off road, as a commuter, for touring–the options are endless.
- Find a bike that fits you! Visit Sheldon Brown’s page to learn more about finding the right size bike for you.
- Beware of stolen goods: Unfortunately, Columbia is plagued by bike thieves. If the person selling the bike can’t give you a good story for why they’re getting rid of it or if something just feels fishy, walk away and notify the police (they can reference the bike against filed police reports). To avoid having your bike stolen we highly recommend using a U-Lock—allowing you to capture both wheels and the frame. Be sure to lock it to a secure structure and register your bike with parking services.
- Get the bike checked out: Swing by the Outdoor Recreation Bike Shop during scheduled hours for a FREE tune up.
- Make sure that the asking price is reasonable: Visit http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Default.aspx. This site will give you an idea of what is a reasonable price based on the condition of the bike.